Now that the Olympics have come to a close that does not have to stop you from being inspired by the athletes who participated in the games. Athletes are all too familiar with health incentives. Their careers are based on health incentives, whatever they put into their bodies determines what they get out of their workouts, and how well they perform in competition. Even for the average person looking to lead a happy and fulfilling life, the health incentives are everywhere. Here are a nine tips on how to manage your diet and lead you in the direction to fuel your body like an Olympic athlete.
1) Avoid processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup.
2) Use whole wheat flour.
3) Stock up on sweet potatoes for long lasting energy.
4) Only eat cheese in moderation.
5) Bake, don’t sauté in oil & butter.
6) Eat fruit, then protein to refuel after a workout.
7) Reduce your salt intake. You can create salt substitutes by combining other spices like paprika, onion powder, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, and thyme. Also try and add acidic foods like vinegar, lemon, or lime before salt.
8) Avoid cooking with olive oil because it loses its nutritional value. Coconut and avocado oils maintain their nutritional value when cooked.
9) It’s okay to break the rules occasionally. Set a number of rule breaking meals or snacks you allow each week. The smaller the number the better.