Getting a good night’s sleep is vital to living a healthy lifestyle. It can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and quality of life.
Here are a few tips on what not to do before bedtime to ensure that you get a good night’s sleep.
1) Do not work out before you go to sleep. Going to the gym or working out raises your body temperature and makes it more difficult to fall asleep.
2) Do not watch Television or go on your computer as the light from the screens stops the production of melatonin.
3) Do not take a hot shower. This also raises your body temperature and makes it take longer for you to fall asleep.
4) Do not drink fluids before climbing into bed because they will cause you to wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break.
5) Do not do work or study because it stimulates your brain and will make falling asleep take longer.
6) Do not fall asleep with a pet on your bed because you will be worried about it throughout the entire night. The same goes for falling asleep with a laptop in your bed.
The benefits of being well-rested include:
– Improved memory
– Longer lifespan
– Decreases inflammation (lowers blood pressure, chance of heart disease, stroke, arthritis, diabetes and premature aging)
– Improves creativity
– Improves focus and attention span
– Decreases cravings for food and increases metabolism
– Relieves stress
– Decreases chance of depression